anyone use a iMac?

All Posts
<
1 2 3
>
Forum IndexClown Hall

#16: anyone use a iMac? Author: Slinver Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 09:32 AM
    ----
If you can afford it...get a Mac. It's just plain better than the other options - and Mac gaming is really starting to take off now. This is the best option by far.

Second best is a PC running Linux - but it's does require a bit more 'work' and knowledge than using Windows. Tbh, if you can't afford a Mac then it's well worth learning to use Linux to avoid all the Windows problems. Linux isn't difficult, it just takes a little learning. The benefit is you get a much more responsive and stable OS for the time you put in. Gaming support is good, but not as good as Mac or Windows yet.

Lastly, if you've no other choice, go for Windows. It's buggy, slow and riddled with security holes, but if you want to be able to play almost any game out there it's got more support than the other options. Best bet tho, use Win XP... Vista is bad even by Microsoft's standards Wink

Ofc.. there's always the Xbox and Playstation as other options.. they're quite good for games Wink
Last edited by Slinver on Thu Jul 19, 2007 09:35 AM; edited 1 times in total

#17: anyone use a iMac? Author: Morri , Location: UK Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:14 AM
    ----
I use Linux, it can't be that bad if I can install software on it Very Happy

I would not go back to using Windows...ever!!! Smile

#18: Re: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lord_afghan , Location: Gothenburg Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 03:04 PM
    ----
If ya gone use it to play games - and do everyday things with it, and if your not a computer geek - GET A PC!!!

Simple as that tbh.

#19: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lutze , Location: New Brighton, Cheshire. UK Post Posted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 08:27 PM
    ----
I totally disagree with Lord Afghan.

Mac's are not about being a geek... to be honest they are way easy and simple to use to be geeky unless you really want to be.

Slin hit the nail on the head... Mac's generally look better than a pc. If you can afford a good Mac then you should consider it. They are well made, well supported and easy to use. They have less problems than PC's.

However - if you are buying it as a "games machine" I'd consider something else maybe. If you are looking at the top end of the gaming side you will want to upgrade your GPU and CPU every few months and you simply don't do that with a Mac.

My current iMac is 2 years old nearly. Nothing has changed inside it. 1gig ram 128mb graphics card (ddr3) 2ghz dual core intel cpu. The only thing I can change is the HDD and the RAM. That's it. Thing with Apple gaming is - often the software company releasing the game will continue to tweak the software so that it improves performance.... Blizzard certainly like to tinker.

#20: anyone use a iMac? Author: Saevar , Location: Seattle USA Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 02:56 AM
    ----
OK, I been doing some research and I found this, it appears to have all the answers.

www.youtube.com/watch?...ed&search=

#21: anyone use a iMac? Author: Adenas , Location: The Tame South Post Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 07:26 AM
    ----
Lutze - good summary.

Saevar - Hahaha Smile

#22: anyone use a iMac? Author: Saevar , Location: Seattle USA Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 09:56 PM
    ----
I went to the Apple store to see. I've never been kicked out of a store for excessive drool. I slobber in my sleep now thinking about iMac, I am wondering if they gave me some kind of brain implant....damn you Steve Jobs!!

Well his nefarious tricks are working, I love those iMacs...but I can't tell if I should wait for the new operating system or not. I don't trust people that want to sell you a computer RIGHT FREAKING NOW...so that part makes me want to wait awhile...but my other side says...GO GET THE FUN TOY!!!

I bought a 27" monitor...and I can use it as a TV...but I have a 27" TV....so I am still a little undecided.

So Lutze - Slinver - Adenas....IF I decide to get a iMac...should I wait? Or does that matter?

#23: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lightrunner , Location: Under a cork tree Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 06:10 AM
    ----
Buy it now, if something better comes out stage a small yet catastrophic accident, make a claim on your insurance, start a trust fund for people who will be affected by the news of your accident, have a charity event to support the trust fund, register as temporarily insane and use the insurance money coupled with the trust fund to by a new one

(I should write advice columns..... everything's always so clear to me)

#24: Re: anyone use a iMac? Author: Mc , Location: The Netherlands Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 07:18 AM
    ----
Lutze wrote:
Mac's generally look better than a pc. If you can afford a good Mac then you should consider it.

Why thank you Lutze, you're to kind Very Happy

I fully agree...us Mac's are potty trained and we generally look better then most equipement....heck maybe even better then your housepet!

*Feel free to adopt me!

#25: Re: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lord_afghan , Location: Gothenburg Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 08:27 AM
    ----
Lutze wrote:
I totally disagree with Lord Afghan.

Mac's are not about being a geek... to be honest they are way easy and simple to use to be geeky unless you really want to be.

Thas not what I meant...But if you dont know shit about computers and you need help - chances are that 99% of your friends and neigbours are useing a PC...

Iv used mac alot - and have nothing against em. I still would recommend a regular PC over a mac anyday in the week and twice on sunday to anyone whos gone use it for gameing and everyday stuff.

#26: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lutze , Location: New Brighton, Cheshire. UK Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 03:28 PM
    ----
Well... a close friend *cough* has the beta of the new OS. It's very very very very very very nice.

However if 129$ for the new OS when it comes out does not break the bank I'd consider getting it sooner rather than later. However... as I mentioned ... Apple are bringing out a new iMac so the rumour mill goes. And it will be a sweet upgrade on the current models.

October is far enough away - but the August entry date for the new systems is so close it's probably worth waiting.

One thing... I bet when you were in the Apple store they did not "try to sell you it" I'd imagine that they would have just answered your questions and shown you the good points, maybe even the negative ones.... if not I'd want to know who it was...

Apple know it takes on average 6 visits to an Apple store asking questions for someone to buy. They are strictly not hard cell.

#27: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lutze , Location: New Brighton, Cheshire. UK Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 07:44 AM
    ----
Ok, so the new iMac's that I spoke about have arrived.

20" and 24" 2ghz > 2.8ghz and up to 4gb of ram and a TB of hard drive.

Starting at £799 - not bad. These machines look fantastic, and with the new chipset and cpu's they are extremely powerful.

#28: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lithiana , Location: Copenhagen Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 08:10 AM
    ----
LOL@Mac

I love macs. They're hot Smile And really easy to use. I play at a MacBook which is obviously not ideal for gaming due to the graphics card (Ive been told). Gonna try to install bootcamp and maybe a bigger HD. Will that work Lutze?

#29: anyone use a iMac? Author: Lutze , Location: New Brighton, Cheshire. UK Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 09:53 AM
    ----
I'd stay with Mac OS X for now - the new patch that they have coming out for WOW makes the game run a lot better (I have a very old G4 (2002) laptop that is running the test server and it runs very smoothly - something it never did before.

Larger HD is always good. But bootcamp is pointless unless you want to run windows. I've done it on my iMac and it worked very well... but I felt dirty afterwards so had to go and remove 3 layers of skin. Blurgh.

If I get a new laptop (soon hopefully!) I'll be putting boot camp back on this for Flogger to use and I'll have my 2.33ghz core 2 duo Macbook Pro.

#30: Re: anyone use a iMac? Author: Saevar , Location: Seattle USA Post Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:16 AM
    ----
So you can run Windows games from a iMac for sure?

Forum IndexClown Hall
<
1 2 3
>
Page 2 of 3